Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Scallops with Balsamic Cherries




I usually get on a cherry kick during the summer. I’d tried cherries with scallops last year, which quickly became one of my favorite ways to prepare scallops. As much as I enjoyed it, I’ve always wondered about ways to improve it.



I’ve talked about how much I enjoy Devo’s Olive Oil Co,’s products before, especially the balsamics. Given my love of cherries, I’d been waiting for a chance to try their black cherry balsamic. The cherry scallops seemed like a great recipe to test it on.

When I was figuring out my recipe, I remembered that Devo’s also has a blood orange olive oil. My mom had used it on our Thanksgiving turkey last year, so I knew how good it was.

The blood orange olive oil and black cherry balsamic turned out to be a fantastic pairing. The balsamic really made the cherry flavors pop, while the olive oil added a slight citrus flavor to the scallops.


Scallops with Balsamic Cherries

7-8 large scallops
Devo’s blood orange olive oil
1 ½ cups cherries, halved and pitted
1 shallot chopped
1 tbsp white wine
2 tbsp Devo’s black cherry balsamic

Pour enough blood orange olive oil in a skillet to barely coat the bottom. Once oil is hot, add scallops. Cook for 3-4 minutes before flipping over. Cook on the remaining side for another 3-4 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small skillet, add ½ to 1 tbsp blood orange olive oil. Once heated, add shallot and sauté for a couple minutes. Add cherries and sauté for a couple more minutes.



Add white wine and let cook off. Add black cherry balsamic and allow it to cook for a few minutes until the mixture thickens. Plate scallops. Once cherries have softened and the balsamic has gotten to a thicker, syrupy consistency, spoon cherry mixture over scallops.



Disclaimer: I received free sample bottles of blood orange olive oil and black cherry balsamic from Devo’s Olive Oil Co. in exchange for providing a recipe and/or giving a fair and honest review. I received no other compensation over than the use of the sample product. The opinions I’ve expressed are my own, and I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment