Monday, March 28, 2011

Piave Vecchio Risotto

A few weeks ago, I had written about all my wonderful cheese that I had brought home with me.  One of these cheeses was Piave Vecchio.  Piave Vecchio is a cow's milk cheese that is produced in the Piave River Valley of northern Italy and aged 12 months.  It is similar to Parmigiano Reggiano.  In my opinion, it has the sweetness of a parmesan, with a bit of a sharp bite.  It is produced in 15 pound wheels.  (I only bought about a third of a pound, but owning an entire wheel sounds like a nice dream to have.)  I have yet to find anything that the Piave doesn't add wonderful and distinctive flavor to, especially when sprinkled on salad or pasta.  I decided to use it for risotto before it ended up disappearing, as it tends to do quickly. 


My risotto recipe wasn't anything exciting.  My main goal was just to substitute the parmesan with the Piave.  There was no disappointment there.  Now if only I had an entire wheel of it, perhaps I could try some more Piave recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment