Sunday, May 1, 2011

Steak with Blue Cheese Caramelized Onion Sauce

For the second year in a row, my sister came to visit for Easter weekend.  Since it’s important to keep tradition, we decided we should grill again this year.  I started brainstorming for something to do with our steaks. Last year, per my sister’s request, we’d basted them in a brown sugar sauce.  This year, my husband suggested blue cheese.  There are some situations where simple works perfectly.  Blue cheese crumbles on a steak is one of them.  Want a fantastic steak?  Here’s the directions:  Cook Steak. Place handful of blue cheese crumbles on top. Eat. 
Simple enough, right? 

We decided to make a creamier sauce.  I ran across a recipe by The Pioneer Woman Cooks for a sauce using blue cheese, cream and caramelized onions.  (If you haven’t figured it out from some of my other posts, caramelized onions may be one of the most versatile foods on the planet.)  Like some other fantastic steak toppers, this sauce is pretty simple to make.  Here’s the step by step:

As our steaks cooked on the grill, I melted about 1-2 tbsp of butter in a sauce pan.  I added 1/2 of a thinly sliced onion and let that cook on low until soft and just starting to brown. 


Now we're to the point where I was supposed to add 1/2 cup of cream.  We hit a small snag there due to the fact the store we had stopped at was completely out.  I guess that's what we get for shopping Easter weekend.  So, we improvised.  I've used fat free half & half instead of cream in quite a few recipes and had it work out just fine. This was no exception.


Let that bubble for about a minute.  Add 1/4 cup of blue cheese.  (That's what the recipe said, but I may have snuck in a little more.)


Stir while the cheese melts.  Once the sauce thickens a bit, pour on top of the steaks.  Now that's a delicious steak!  My sister, who had declared earlier that she wasn't sure she liked blue cheese, was asking if there was extra. 


My Helpers even took turns watching the grill for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment