Monday, April 11, 2011

Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes

I mentioned earlier that it is common at my husband’s workplace to bring treats for everyone on your birthday.  This gave me a good excuse to try out a couple cupcake recipes I’ve had my eye on. 

I had happened across this recipe for Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes.  What part of that doesn’t sound good?  I used Glorious Treats’ recipe for the dark chocolate cupcakes.  I did cheat on the caramel sauce by using Smuckers ice cream sauce.  (There are a few things where the homemade version is just not going to make enough difference to be worth the trouble of doing it yourself.) 

The cake batter was really easy to mix up. It turned out very moist.  In fact, it was so moist that the poor caramel sauce soaked in and left a void where it was supposed to sit. I’m wondering now if substituting a caramel square instead of the syrup might work.  It could probably be baked in the cupcakes or placed in right out of the oven. 
The cupcakes themselves had a great, rich flavor.  I wasn’t a huge fan of the chocolate and cream based ganache recipe.  I love dark chocolate, but it was still a little too bitter.  The chocolate glaze recipe from the smores cupcakes I made a couple months ago might be better.  I'll have to try that next time.

1 comment:

  1. I am not much of a caramel fan, but this gives me some ideas--maybe hot fudge sauce :)

    ReplyDelete