Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Now That's a Sandwich.

I’ve been accused many times of being a food snob.  I can’t exactly argue against that.  I grew up in a house where people always cooked.  I wasn’t even aware that instant mashed potatoes existed for most of my childhood.  (The use of instant potatoes still leaves me baffled.)  My younger sister came home from daycare one day talking about how her lunch was a sandwich made with “little round things like meat” and mayo.  We finally figured out later that she’d been fed a bologna sandwich. 

Because of my beliefs on what good food consists of, I have different views of what certain food should be.  For instance, when someone mentions making a sandwich, they are probably thinking of packaged lunch meat and a cheese single on Wonder bread.  Well, here’s my version of a sandwich: 

This sandwich consists of ciabatta bread topped with honey mustard, white cheddar cheese, thinly sliced brown sugar ham, bacon, caramelized onions and baby portabella mushrooms.  As set out in this recipe, the portabellas have been sautéed in some balsamic vinegar and grape juice, giving them a sweet, robust flavor.  The whole sandwich is then toasted in a sandwich press.  Go ahead and call me picky, or spoiled, or a food snob.   You won’t get much fight from me.  I’ll be too busy eating this for dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment