Saturday, April 9, 2011

Shrimp Wraps with Mandarin Orange Salsa

After making some rather unhealthy recipes, I thought I’d try something a little lighter.  I had seen a recipe for fish tacos with mandarin orange salsa.   The salsa, which was a mix of mandarin oranges, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and yellow or red bell pepper, looked bright and delicious. 

I preferred using shrimp instead of the tilapia that the recipe called for.  My mother had also recently brought me something called a Grill It, which is basically a small stove top grill.  I thought shrimp would be the perfect thing to try out on it. 

I made the salsa first so the flavors would have time to mix together.  The salsa recipe, which is adapted from gimme some oven, is as follows:
  • 1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained and halved (or you can substitute fresh mandarin oranges)
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped red bell peppers (I used yellow)
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped red onion
  • 1/2 Tbsp. finely diced, seeded jalapeno
  • dash of salt
  • couple dashed of lime juice
I’ll admit that I didn’t really measure the ingredients, so I probably ended up with more of the pepper, onion, and jalapeno than the recipe calls for.  In this recipe, how much of each ingredient you use is all up to individual taste. 

Next, I mixed a half pound of fresh shrimp with some lime juice, drizzle of honey, and some chipotle chili powder.  The shrimp took about 5 minutes to cook on the Grill It.  A regular skillet would work well also. 
I usually buy the 98% fat free tortillas, which aren’t sold in a small enough size to be taco.  I decided to do wraps instead.  White rice sounded like a good filler for the wraps. (I think I have been to Chipotle too many times.)  After placing the shrimp, salsa, and rice on the tortillas, I add just a sprinkle of white cheddar cheese.
This recipe went over fantastic.  My husband actually ate three of them, all the while talking about how great the salsa was.  I was also really impressed by the flavor of the simple salsa.     
I will warn you that this light recipe probably acts as a buffer for what is about to come.  My husband’s birthday is coming up.  Not only is it tradition at his work to take treats to share with co-workers, but he is also requesting steak au poivre for his birthday dinner.  This means I will have some (hopefully) good, but not so healthy recipes to share with you soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment